Mabuhay! And thank you for visiting our MGB-7 website!
Welcome to the realm of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau Region 7 Central Visayas where you would feast on mining, mineral resources, technical and scientific data and information pertinent to Cebu, Bohol, Negros and Siquijor Provinces.
As we begin to embark on our journey towards fulfilling our flagship programs and targets for this year 2016, let us recount for a moment the significant milestones that we have achieved in 2015:
- In continuity of the 1:10,000 scale National Geohazard Assessment and Mapping Program, the very first implementation of Subsidence (Karst) Hazard Assessment was undertaken in Mactan Island, in the Municipalities of Sta. Fe and Oslob and in the City of Bogo, all in the Province of Cebu, while the Vulnerability and Risk Assessment (VRA) Program was pioneered in the City of Tagbilaran, Province of Bohol.
- Groundwater Resource Assessment was carried out in the Municipality of Sta. Fe, Cebu Province.
- Coastal Geohazard Assessment covered the three (3) Provinces of Region 7 which include Cebu, Bohol and Negros Oriental. In Cebu, it covered the municipality of Samboan in the southwest mainland, and the three (3) municipalities within Bantayan Island which is located in the northern tip of Cebu island province, namely Sta. Fe, Bantayan, and Madridejos. In Bohol, it included municipalities of Panglao and Dauis. And in Negros Oriental, the assessment was completed in Dumaguete City.
- Information Education Communication (IEC) Program was successfully undertaken in the prioritized fourteen (14) target municipalities in northern Cebu mainland which were hardest hit by super typhoon Yolanda. The IEC was also able to cover the three (3) municipalities of the Bantayan Island.
- Various forms of other services and assistance for the interest and benefit of the general public were also performed which include, among others, the following:
- Acceptance, processing and issuance of Industrial Sand and Gravel, Mineral Processing Permits and Certificates of Accreditation
- Processing, evaluation and indorsement of Applications for Exploration Permits, Mineral Processing Permits, etc.
- Processing and issuance of Mineral Ore Export Permits, Ore Transport Permits for the transport/shipment of mineral ores and certifications for mineral/rock sample shipments..
- Monitoring of approved Mining Rights.
- Investigation of mining complaints and conflicts.
- Assistance to the concerned LGUs in the implementation of the MGB devolved functions thru the P/CMRBs
- Monitoring of Safety, Health, Environmental and Social Development Management Programs.
- Evaluation and approval of Safety and Health and Social Development Management Programs.
- Evaluation and indorsement of Environmental Protection and Enhancement Programs
Accomplishments of such huge scientific and technical tasks would not have been possible without the support of every member and team of the MGB-7 family who toiled with utmost perseverance and fortitude towards achieving the objectives and prevailing over all obstacles. To the ladies and gentlemen of this MGB-7 family, I am truly honored and grateful for giving me this opportunity of working with you. Your excellent accomplishments and unrelenting sense of public service never go unnoticed. Thank you indeed.
In behalf of the MGB-7 family, I would like to thank also our associates in the private sector, Local Government Units (LGUs), the general public, and other stakeholders who in many ways nobly contributed and helped in attaining our mandates, programs and services.
With continued effort, dedication and commitment, I believe we can accomplish all the work challenges and targets, with quality, integrity and professionalism for the year 2016 and beyond.
LORETO B. ALBURO, CESO VI
The year 2012 marked our silver anniversary, a year of sparkles. It was indeed a banner year for our Department. Thanks to your hard work, undivided dedication and unwavering commitment that contributed to significant milestones and unprecedented honors:
- The SWS Sincerity Rating Against Corruption gave us a double upgrade by crossing over the consistently negative ratings of as low as -44 in 2005 to a modest +1, because of our vigorous campaign against inefficiency and corruption;
- Pulse Asia survey also gave us +60 in public approval for our efforts in stopping the abuse of the environment, earning for us a net approval rating of +49 from -12 in 2009; and
- The global Environmental Performance Index (EPI) of the Yale and Columbia Universities, in collaboration with the World Economic Forum and the European Commission, rated the Philippines as "Strong Environmental Performer", even outranking technologically advanced countries like South Korea, Australia, the USA, Singapore and Israel. We also surpassed our area targets in the National Greening Program (NGP) by reforesting some 329,732 hectares since 2011. This is complemented by our intensified operations against illegal logging, which significantly reduced the number of illegal logging hotspots nationwide from 197 to 31, and convicted 72 persons out of 546 cases filed. These are now the focus of the revitalized anti-illegal logging campaign under the leadership of the military this 2013.
Although, still polluted, our efforts in cleaning up the air in Metro Manila paid off with the reduction of TSP levels by 36% from 166 µg/Ncm in June 2010 to 106 µg/Ncm in September 2012. PM 10 levels also declined by 7% in September 2012. Likewise, under the Adopt-An-Estero/River Program, some 348 agreements have been forged with corporations and LGUs, for the cleaning up of about 207 water bodies, nationwide.
Finally, beginning 2011, we have continually cleared our ranks of erring employees, dismissing/penalizing 32 and filing charges against 34, while 176 remained under investigation. We encouraged transparency in our operations by posting all contracts and bidding results in our websites; promoting cashless transactions; and installing over 2,000 CCTV cameras in all our offices.
These were just among the highlights of a fulfilling 2012! We thus stand rightly proud of what we have together achieved, which we, in great honors, also dedicate to the environmental heroes who gave up their precious lives for the protection of our environment.
As we embark on the year 2013, let us continue to better our best and avoid backsliding to afford our institution, the DENR, the needed impetus to sustain its momentum in facing the growing challenges in the years ahead.
On this note and on behalf of President Benigno S. Aquino III, thank you once more for your commendable contributions.
Mabuhay tayong lahat!
10 CV mining operators recognized in the 63rd Annual National Mine Safety and Environment Conference
Mining companies in Central Visayas received 10 awards in the recent Presidential Mine Safety and Environment Conference as conferred by the Philippine Mine Safety and Environment Association (PMSEA).
PMSEA President Louie Sarmiento awarded the plaques to the mining companies who have excelled and went beyond just compliance in safety and environmental protection.
Apo Cement Corporation whose operation is in Naga City, Cebu received a Presidential Mineral Industry Environmental Award (Platinum) for Mineral Processing.
Solid Earth Development Corporation is also recognized as the safest Non-Metallic Mining Operation in the country.
Apo Cement Corporation is awarded as the over-all winner for the Safest Mines Award in the Cement Plant category; second place is Taiheiyo Cement Philippines, Inc.
The winner for the safest mine in the Crushing Category is the Bohol plant of the Philippine Mining Service Corporation.
On the search for the Best Mining Forest, Carmen Copper Corporation – Toledo Copper Mine Project won 2nd runner-up in the Metallic category; and Solid Earth Development Corporation, 3rd runner-up in the Non-Metallic Category. They stayed true to their commitment for progressive site rehabilitation thus they were bestowed the Best Mining Forest awards. Philippine Mining Service Corporation in Alcoy, south of Cebu is the 1st runner-up for Best Mining Forest Awards in the Mineral Processing Plant category; 2nd runner-up for the same category is the Apo Cement Corp.
The awarding ceremony was held at the CAP John Hay Trade and Convention Center in Baguio City last November 18, 2016.
“The awards garnered by Region 7 is a reflection of an effective partnership of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau and the operating mining companies in the implementation of programs on mine safety, environmental management and social development,” said MGB-7 Regional Director Loreto B. Alburo.
- MGB-7 reviews records of mining companies, contractors, individuals for Presidential Mineral Industry Environment Awards and other recognitions
- LGUS TOLD TO REVIEW HAZARD MAPS, URGED TO TAKE ACTION
- MINING COMPANY, MGB VOW TO CONTINUE PROMOTION OF RESPONSIBLE MINING, BACK NEW DENR SECRETARY
- Mines and Geosciences Bureau, Regional Office VII (MGB 7) Identified Possible Site for “Minahang Bayan” Within the Province of Cebu