Tropical Cyclone: ALERT
Issued at 11:00 pm, 12 May 2020
“AMBO” INTENSIFIES INTO A TROPICAL STORM (TS).
- Heavy Rainfall Outlook:
- Between tonight and tomorrow (13 May) evening, the trough of TS AMBO will bring scattered light to moderate with at times heavy rainshowers during thunderstorms over Mindanao and Eastern Visayas.
- Between tomorrow evening and Thursday (14 May) evening, TS AMBO will bring moderate to heavy rains over Eastern Visayas, Catanduanes, Albay, Sorsogon, and Masbate.
- Residents in these areas are advised to take precautionary measures, coordinate with local disaster risk reduction and management offices, and continue monitoring for updates, especially the local rainfall or thunderstorm advisories and heavy rainfall warnings from PAGASA Regional Services Divisions (PRSD). Flooding and rain-induced landslides may occur in highly to very highly susceptible areas during heavy or prolonged rainfall.
- Tropical Cyclone Winds:
- Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) #1 may be raised over Eastern Samar and the eastern portion of Northern Samar in the next 6 to 12 hours in anticipation of strong winds associated with the approaching TS. Disruption of maritime travel may be experienced in the areas.
- Other Hazards and Warning Information:
- Moderate to rough seas will be experienced over the eastern seaboard of Bicol Region and the northern and eastern seaboards of Eastern Visayas in the next 24 hours. Sea travel is risky over these areas.
- TS AMBO may further intensify as it approaches the Eastern Visayas-Bicol Region area.
- The international name “VONGFONG”, meaning wasp, was contributed by Macao S.A.R. (China).
Location of Eye/center
At 10:00 PM today, the center of Tropical Storm “AMBO” was estimated based on all available data at 455 km East Northeast of Surigao City, Surigao del Norte or 400 km East of Guiuan, Eastern Samar (11.2 °N, 129.4 °E )Movement
Moving North at 20 kphStrength
Maximum sustained winds of 65 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 80 kphForecast Position
- 24 Hour(Tomorrow evening): 375 km East of Catarman, Northern Samar(12.3°N, 128.1°E)
- 48 Hour(Thursday evening):30 km East Northeast of Catarman, Northern Samar(12.6°N, 124.9°E)
- 72 Hour(Friday evening): In the vicinity of Mabitac, Laguna(14.4°N, 121.4°E)
- 96 Hour(Saturday evening):45 km West Northwest of Laoag City, Ilocos Norte(18.4°N, 120.2°E)
- 120 Hour(Sunday evening):175 km North Northeast of Basco, Batanes(21.8°N, 122.8°E)
Wind Signal: No Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal
Via DOST PAGASA